Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Not Your Mother's Beach Babe #NYMBeachBabe Shampoo and Conditioner Review from Surfsup Voxbox

Recently through Influenster I got my first ever Voxbox. If your not familiar with Influenster you can learn more in my post Here and if your wondering what else I got to sample you can see everything I got in my Surfs up Voxbox Here


Want you own VoxBox? Sign up here
I was lucky enough to be one of the many who got Shampoo and Conditioner to sample (others received mascara). I received a 1 fl. oz. bottle of Not Your Mothers Beach Babe Texturizing Shampoo and a 1 fl. oz. bottle of Not Your Mothers Beach Babe Texturizing Conditioner.
(Photo: Mine)
I have walked by this brand many times in the store but never really took the time to look at it or try it. I always just assumed it would be a very expensive brand but the bottles (their travel size) shown about are $3 each and it only costs $6 each for the full size (8 fl. oz. bottles). You can usually get a good deal on these products if you go to Ulta (especially if you receive their adds with the coupons on them).
The purpose of the Beach Babe Shampoo and Conditioner is to give you beautiful, texturized, beachy waves. Both are infused with coconut oil and sea kelp extract and have a nice beachy smell. They both are also sulfate free and safe for all hair types. The Shampoo works to create tousled waves while hydrating and gently cleansing your hair. The conditioner works to create wavy volume while detangling and hydrating your hair. They also have a texturizing sea salt spray that you can purchase to go along with these products (I bought that later to try).
Back panel on the Shampoo
(Photo: Mine)

Back panel on the Conditioner
(Photo: Mine)
I wasn't sure how well just the shampoo and conditioner would work alone on my hair but one evening I was short on time and had to take a quick shower and get ready for a wine tasting event in a short amount of time. I decided to go ahead and try the shampoo and conditioner out and brought a hair tie in case my hair ended up turning into a mess. Luckily I didn't need the hair tie!
I took my normal shower and used the shampoo focusing on my roots by applying a small amount to my ends. Then I used the conditioner focusing on my ends and apply a small amount to my roots. I let the conditioner sit in my hair (I use a clip to clip it up and keep it out of my way) while I used my body wash, which is what I typically do with any conditioner. At the end of my shower I took my hair down and rinsed it out. I jumped out of the shower, squeezed the extra water out of my hair, brushed it out and towel scrunched it with the towel a little to help get the extra water out. Then I quickly finished getting ready threw on a dress and ran out the door.
I tried not to touch my hair much on the car ride there and let it just dry and do its own thing. I was really impressed because for once it didn't end up being a frizzy mess. I have long naturally wavy/ loose spiral curly hair and this product worked great leaving me with more wave then curl. Depending on your hair type your hair may come out more curly or just a little wavy. I have seen other pictures/ reviews on instagram and noticed some straight haired people didn't have much luck with it but some also did. One girl said she had pin straight hair but was able to get a little wavy and texture going with the shampoo and conditioner (I saw a picture along with it that showed a cute slightly wavy style).

The shampoo itself is a little thicker, one girl complained she had to use the entire bottle for her short (a little shorter then shoulder length hair). I've been able to get about two uses so far and I think I have enough for one more use in my samples. (so three washes total and my hair goes down to atleast my mid back). I found that its better to take a glob of shampoo and tap it on different sections of your head rather then glob it all in one spot and try massage it throughout your hair and scalp. The conditioner is really smooth and I feel that it spreads pretty easily throughout your hair.

I really enjoyed the scent of this product, its very beachy with a coconut scent to it. Some complained it was a "manufactured" beach smell but I don't feel that way. I think that its kind of difficult to make a scent strong enough that it will remain in your hair after rinsing the product out but not too strong that when you smell it straight from the bottle it wont smell "manufactured". The smell actually reminds me of my childhood. When I was younger American Girl came out with the dog "Coconut" I believe. One of my friends had the little toy dog and it had a coconut smells almost exactly the same as this shampoo from what I remember. So every time I smell my hair I think of my childhood and playing with the little American Girl dog puppy :]

Here are a few pictures from the night I first tried NYM Beach Babe shampoo and conditioner. I apologize the pictures were taken on my phone by other people at night time so they didn't come at as nice or as clear as when I take them during the day. They are also from my instagram so that might have affected the quality a little bit. (Feel free to follow me on instagram, I post a lot of what I'm sampling on there, @auntie_m_25)

My mom and I
(Photo: Mine from my instagram @auntie_m_25)

Just me, a little clearer
(Photo: Mine from my instagram)

 A picture taken at home AFTER my night out, hair still looking great!
(Photo: Mine from my instagram)


Overall I was really happy with these products. My hair responded well to them, I loved how easy they were to use and the way my hair looked after I used them. I also loved the scent and the price! I will definitely be buying these in the future. I already went out and purchased the Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray and the Way to Grow Long and Strong Shampoo and Conditioner which is supposed to help keep your hair moisturized and healthy so you can grow it out quicker.

Texturizing Sea Salt Spray
(Photo: Mine)

It has a nice little blue thing on it that you can position to make it usable (open) or locked so it wont spray if its in your bag! I thought this was one of those things you pulled off and threw away at first but luckily I realized it was supposed to stay attached before I broke it.
(Photo: Mine)

Way to Grow Long and Strong Shampoo and Conditioner
(Photo: Mine)

I haven't really gotten a chance to try out the texturizing spray and really decide how I feel about it but I want to also try it with the Beach Babe Shampoo and Conditioner and see if I notice any difference.

I really like the Way to Grow Long and Strong shampoo and conditioner. The smell isn't bad but its not my number one favorite shampoo scent I've ever had, it is pleasant though. My hair feels a lot softer and healthier since using the product. I've only been using it for maybe two or three weeks so its still a little soon to tell if its helping my hair grow but I have read some really good reviews from others saying that it has helped them. Its important to remember that the products not making your hair grow any faster, its just keeping your hair healthy so that there's less breakage which causes your hair to appear to grow slower.

I plan on continuing to try the different Not Your Mother's products. I've really liked everything I've tried so far. I really want to try their shampoo, conditioner and products for curly hair because I have heard a lot of great reviews from others so I am interested to see how it would work on my hair. I bought the three products shown last from Meijer. My Meijer did not have any of the curly hair products so I'm hoping to stop by Ulta one day after work and hopefully pick some up.

If you get a chance to try any of the Not Your Mother's products leave me a comment and tell me what you tried and what you think!



*I was given Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Shampoo and Conditioner free for sampling purposes. I was asked to give my honest opinion and was not rewarded in any way for posting a positive review. All photos in post are mine unless otherwise noted.*


No comments:

Post a Comment